LAIKA Nike shoes unveiled for Kubo, ParaNorman and more
We have a few very exciting news from the folks at LAIKA, the studio behind the brilliant stop-motion animated films Kubo and the two ropes, Paranormand, The Boxtrollsand Coraline. LAIKA is set to have a big presence at San Diego’s Gaslamp Quarter during San Diego Comic-Con this year, setting up “The LAIKA Experience” from July 14-23. Admission to the exhibition is free and includes props, puppets, monsters and sets from all LAIKA films as well as fan art, a photo/GIF booth with LAIKA characters, social media activations, LAIKA products for sale and daily designs for a pair of LAIKA themed shoes from Nike designed by The Hatfield Handyman.
What are you saying ? LAIKA shoes? Oh shit yes.
In partnership with LAIKA, Tinker Hatfield, VP of Design and Special Projects and NIKE has created a limited edition NIKE shoe to celebrate each of LAIKA’s animated features. All four shoes will be exhibited at The LAIKA Experience. A pair of ParaNorman Foamposites, Coraline Dunks or KUBO XV will be given away each day” (sizes chosen at random).
There will be a daily draw for a pair of shoes. In addition, there will be a daily draw for a pair of ParaNorman slippers.
- The Coraline Nike Dunk (2009) features visible hand-stitched stitching on the upper and a glow-in-the-dark sole.
- The Nike Air Foamposite One ParaNorman (2012) features smoke green on a black upper with a glow-in-the-dark sole: “weird kicks for weird kids.”
- The Nike Roshe Run Trollstrikes (2014) created for The Boxtrolls release features a distressed leather upper, cobblestone print midsole, iridescent green heel panels and steampunk lace locks.
- The Kubo XV (2016) has a sleek look and a front zipper. The design is an homage to the film’s themes of good versus evil, with alternating colors of blue and red.
For more information on how to enter, read the contest rules on the LAIKA website.
Speaking of the designs, Hatfield said in a statement that it all started with Coraline:
“Coraline was the first, and it was also, probably, the most ambitious of all shoes. I was trying to bring together the parallel narrative worlds of sneakers and film. This movie, when I first saw it, I thought “Wow, this is so unique” so I knew we had to do something with the shoe that no one else had done in terms of storytelling and details. “
He also talked about his inspiration for the Paranormand The shoes:
“ParaNorman had an ‘otherworldly’ quality that I loved. So we immediately thought of Eric Avar’s Foamposite as a great shoe for this project. The shoe itself looks like something out of a sci-fi movie! We also did the Air Raid II. We decided on this shoe because we felt like what LAIKA was doing with innovation in the animated horror genre had similarities to how we tried to innovate with the Air Raid in Basketball.
You can check out a slew of images of the shoes below, but first, for those attending Comic-Con or in the San Diego area, here’s a look at what you can expect at The LAIKA Experience. , including a signature from the CEO of LAIKA /Kubo director Travis Knight:
THE LAIKA EXPERIENCE (July 14-23)
Location: 520 Fifth Avenue, San Diego, CA 92101
What to see and do: • Sets, puppets, monsters, accessories from LAIKA films: Kubo and the two ropes (2016); The Boxtrolls (2014); Paranormand (2012), Coraline (2009).
- LAIKA products available for purchase.
- Nike’s custom shoes created for each of LAIKA’s films.
- Take a photo with the main characters from the LAIKA movies.
- Friday July 14: 2 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Saturday July 15: 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Sunday July 16: 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Monday – Tuesday July 17-18: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Wednesday July 19: 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Thursday July 20: 11 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- Friday, July 21: 11 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- Saturday July 22: 11 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- Sunday July 23: 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
Sunday July 16:
- Watch for costumed LAIKA walkaround characters at the LAIKA Photo Booth inside the gates of Balboa Park during the PRIDE Festival. Pose for a photo with ParaNorman’s “Mitch Towne”, the first gay character ever featured in an animated film. Personalized LAIKA headbands will be distributed.
- LAIKA will host 25 BAFTA LA students at the Giants/Padres game at Petco Park on Sunday, July 16.
friday july 21
- 2 p.m.-3 p.m.: LAIKA President and CEO Travis Knight (Director of Kubo and the two ropes) will be joined by New York Times bestselling author Tony DiTerlizzi (The Spiderwick Chronicles; Star Wars: Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight) for a Facebook Live tour of The LAIKA Experience. Travis will share LAIKA’s unique creative process with Tony as they take FB guests on a virtual tour of the pop-up exhibit.
- 3-4:30 p.m.: Travis Knight autograph session. (For merchandise purchased at The LAIKA Experience.)
Kubo and the two ropes
Gabriel Iglesias will produce and star in the animated film “I, Chihuahua” on Netflix
About the Author